Thursday, January 22, 2009

In the Beggining


I didn’t understand how important it was to be a Village Fighter
Didn’t comprehend how much different this style of fighting is
Had no idea of what I was getting myself into;
How hard I would have to work
That my body would become bruised and battered;
Sore and stiff
Being overloaded with electrical signals of pain and agony
Shooting strait up to my brain traveling at the speed of light

I didn’t know any of these people that took this class
Surrounded by strangers;
Looking at their sashes to see who had a black one.
Not getting exactly what it meant.
That they have already endured what I am just beginning to understand
Persevered against everything that has been thrown at them and survived
How much time, effort and long hours of practicing
Not realizing all of the trauma, pressure and stress they have undergone

I couldn’t understand why there were more women than men
Or how I was ever going to re-train my body to put weight in my heels;
Not on the balls of my feet like dance has taught me.
That at times this system will drive you crazy;
That it is one of the hardest systems to learn…
Didn’t understand how encompassing The Art of Village Fighting is
How lucky I am to have Sifu Gates as my teacher
Didn’t dream that I would be able to move the bags

I didn’t know that I had to empty my cup to make room for Kung-fu
That I would get into arguments over keeping my right to go to kung-fu
Didn’t know that the studio would become my therapy sessions
That it would help me deal with life itself…
All I knew was that this was what I had been looking for
Understood that this martial arts would give me the discipline that I needed within my life
That it would give me balance in this unbalanced world
Accepting Village Fighting as part of my life;
Facilitating me to outshine where I have gone a rye in life






©2008 Ashlee Elizabeth Lindsay

No comments:

Post a Comment