Friday, March 13, 2009

Kelly Green Headband...

I love to crochet...I've been doing it since I was a little girl! A lot of people crochet either the front or back of the loop; I crochet through both loops to give the yarn a better cohesiveness.

For this project I choose to keep it simple by only using a single crochet stitch (sc st) yet I am going about this headband the long way so to speak... I find that for me, it is easier and more accurate to my Afro puff that I call my hair if I make the headband using the width instead of making the full chain that fits around my head. From the pictures that I took of my fro you can see why:...





Front of the fro...





The back of the Afro...

Kelly Green Headband© Cynnefull Garden Crochets™ all rights reserved.

Materials Used:

  • Caron One pound in Kelly Green 510- Weight: 4 medium, 100% Acrylic, 812 yrds/ 16 oz. solid, Worsted weight.

  • Size I crochet needle (5.5mm) *Per label on CARON ONE POUND yarn it says "I" ; thru website it says "G"*- your choice.

  • Crochet stich used: single crochet (sc)- Insert hook in stitch (sc) or space (sp) indicated, Yarn Over (YO) and pull a loop. Yarn Over (YO) and draw through both loops on the hook.


Like I said earlier this is a pretty simple project. I am making it on the fly without a pattern... the headband only uses a single crochet (sc). We live in a world that places more value on how difficult or how extravagant the item that you made is- beauty is also simple and elegant at the same time without being overdone and showy. That was the mindset with this project: simply beautiful and without gaudiness.

Terminology:

  • Cast on for this project is the same as chain...
  • Chain (ch)
  • Stitch/es (st/sts)
  • Single Crochet (sc)-Insert hook in stitch (sc) or space (sp) indicated, Yarn Over (YO) and pull a loop. Yarn Over (YO) and draw through both loops on the hook.
  • Space/s (sp/sps)
  • Join w/ slip stitch (sl st)- Begin with a slip knot on hook. Insert hook in stitch or space indicated, Yarn Over (YO) and draw through the stitch or space and the loop on hook.
  • Yarn Over (YO)- put yarn over the needle to make another loop.


To start: Cast on/ chain (ch) 16 stitches (sts) loosely ** If you want the width of the headband to be longer than 4 inches then chain more stitches**


Row 1: single crochet (sc) in chain (ch) 2nd from the hook; Single crochet (sc) across. 15 spaces (sps) total. Chain (ch) 1 and turn. *** REMEMBER: IF YOU ADD MORE STITCHES (sts) YOU WILL STILL SINGLE CROCHET (sc) IN THE 2ND CHAIN (ch) FROM THE HOOK.***

Row 2: single crochet (sc) across. 15 spaces (sps) total. Chain (ch) 1 and turn. ***Or however many stitches (sts) you decided to begin with minus 1.***


Rows 3 to end: Repeat row 2 till headband fits comfortably and snugly around your head when you pull both ends together. When ready and there are no twists join both ends w/ slip stitch (sl st). You should be joining/ slip stitching (sl st) 15 stitches (sts) using the slip stitch (sl st).***join/slip stitch (sl st) however many stitches (sts) that you dedided to use.**


Working on the rows to the end...



Cut yarn; weave in ends and viola- finished!








This pattern is very adaptable- you can change it up depending on your level of crocheting or your need not to have the headband so strong. (refer to my fro pictures to see why I needed the head band to be strong and thick)





Possible suggestions:

  • Add a second color around the front area and use a smaller crochet needle to make it tighter around the forehead area if it slips.
  • For less thickness and more movement: turn the single crochets to double crochets; shell stitches or half double crochets. Just make sure that you insert the hook in the 3rd chain (ch) from the hook... (for more information on the different kinds of basic stitches you can use along with a tutorial click HERE.) Heck- use combinations of each to get your desired effect.
  • Add a second color within the headband itself; better yet find a crochet chart and a pattern.
  • That's all of the suggestions that I'm going to give... anymore and I'll give away too much!

Need more help/ info/ tutorials: go to crochet pattern central they have everything that you ever needed to know about crochet... (link will take you to the instruction directory)

Here is their link to their free crochet patterns Directory

Use this link to view the Crochet stitches

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. interesting blog!
    and thanks for becomming a follower of my blog!
    love and greetings from Scandinavia, Sarah sofia

    ReplyDelete